Tuesday, April 13, 2010

LinkedIn and Facebook

Until I read this case, I didn't know that LinkedIn actually provided any services. I thought it was merely a website to network and view or create professional connections. I was surprised to read about how robust it is in terms of finding someone with particular qualifications within either your immediate network, or the network of someone with whom you're connected. However, I'm not sure that I'd be willing to pay for expanded search capabilities as an end-user. I thought it was interesting that when LinkedIn gave its members the option of being contacted without a referral, 92% of members chose not to participate.


Facebook is a phenomenon that continues to amaze me from the sheer volume of people who have joined it and have continued to join it. It's interesting to note that Zuckerberg seems to employ a "beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission" strategy when it comes to implementing new services or characteristics on Facebook, having now issued 2 apologies for invading users' privacy. As an occassional Facebook user myself, I enjoy it for the opportunity to reconnect with friends with whom I've lost touch. What I dislike about it is seeing updates from people who seem to think that everyone they're "friends" with wants to know every detail about their day, from what they had for each meal to what their kids got stuck in their hair/nose/shoe that day. Facebook Connect brings this sense of narcissism to an entire new level. I have no interest in knowing who bought what from which website or who just booked a trip on Expedia, and I certainly don't want all of my "friends" knowing that information about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment